miércoles, 17 de junio de 2009

A too trivial example to work

I have been reading the paper "Transfer of Unitary Representations" with Seung and Oded. We are reading the final section that is called a family of examples. The family is actually a family of representations for $Sp(2n,R)$. The first time we tried we were doing the case $n=2$, but we got stuck at some point, so I suggested to do the case n=1 instead for next time. I remember saying "Yeah, the case n=1 should be so simple, is $SL(2,R)$ and we know everything about it". So next time we tried that case for a couple of hours but nothing made sense.

Later that week I asked Wallach and he told me that actually $n=1$ doesn't work at all. I tried to come up with an example modifying the construction, but this example didn't satisfied the hypothesis of the paper at all.

I felt really bad with Oded and Seung about this, because it was me who insisted in doing this case first. We have moved to the case $n=2$ and hopefully today we can finish it and move to a more general case.

No hay comentarios: